Optional Practical Training
It is not necessary for the student to have received an offer of employment prior to requesting OPT. The request for OPT authorization must be applied for and approved by the USCIS service center prior to the student commencing the OPT employment. The student must have the employment authorization card in hand prior to being employment.
Effect on Other Employment
Students must have used less than 12 months of full-time Curricular Training to be eligible for Optional Practical Training.
There is a $410 fee for each request for Optional Practical Training.
Steps to Request OPT
- Make an appointment to meet with Jennifer Abbott, International Student Advisor to discuss OPT and to formally request OPT from SEVIS.
- Determine the start date for your OPT.
- Jennifer Abbott, International Student Advisor will request OPT for you in the SEVIS system, and issue a new I-20 that reflects the OPT request.
- Jennifer Abbott, International Student Advisor, will draft a cover letter to recommend you for OPT to be included with your application.
- Complete the I-765 Employment Authorization application.
- The I-765 Employment Authorization form may be found on USCIS.
The following items should be submitted with the application:
- $410.00 check or money order made payable to:
- S. Department of Homeland Security.
- Copy of most recent auto generated I-94 travel and departure info
- Copy of identity pages of your passport and visa
- Copy of any previous Employment Authorization Cards (EAD), if applicable
- Two passport style photos with a white background
- Copy of latest I-20 with OPT request.
- Copies of any previous I-20's issued by SUNY Upstate University or any other US school you have attended (including any forms that were issued pre-SEVIS)
- OPT Checklist
For more information about Photo requirements:
The OPT application and supporting documents should be mailed by the International Student Advisor or student to the correct filing address for the student’s state of residence as noted at www.uscis.gov:
For information on your OPT case status, please check:
NOTE: Information regarding OPT was obtained from the USCIS website for use on this webpage.
Students and employers can use the STEM OPT Hub located at https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/stem-opt-hub to obtain more information about applying for STEM OPT.STEM OPT Checklist