Upstate: Applications to the College of Medicine must be complete by November 1st
MD/PhD Program Admissions
Rm. 3104, 766 Irving Ave.
Syracuse, NY 13210
Map & directions
Phone: 315 464-7719
Name: Krystal Ripa
Each year the MD/PhD Program receives over 100 applications for approximately 5 positions in the entering class. Applications are accepted from U.S. citizens, permanent residents and foreign citizens who have completed at least 90 semester hours of coursework in the United States or Canada at an accredited institution.
The Admissions Committee reviews all applications and uses all available information to determine an applicant's qualifications for the study and practice of medicine. This is done without regard to sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or marital status.
Beginning Fall 2010, SUNY Upstate Medical University will require background checks for all accepted College of Medicine students. More information on background checks may be found at the AAMC website.
To Complete an Application:
- Submit a verified AMCAS application by October 1st. Be sure to check the box indicating that you are applying to the MD/PhD Program.
- Submit Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores to AMCAS by November 1st (supplemental application deadline).
- Submit three original letters of recommendation applicable to the MD/PhD Program from those familiar with the applicant's academic record and potential for investigative research.
- Submit a SUNY Upstate Medical University Secondary Application by November 1st. Once our admissions office receives your verified AMCAS application we will forward you instructions on how to access our secondary application.
- Submit a non-refundable application processing fee of $110 by November 1st - payment by credit card only.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to make certain that all materials are received by our office prior to the appropriate deadlines. If an applicant decides to withdraw their application, we do require that they notify our office as soon as possible.
SUNY Upstate Medical University will:
- ONLY accept MCAT's taken within the 3 years prior to application
- ONLY consider scores that are received prior to our November 1st application deadline
- Not hold applications for January test scores
- Not re-review an application once the admissions committee has made a decision on an applicant